Thursday, October 09, 2008

Just Keep Spinning

I need your help in reaching my fundraising goal: http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/solvFnst08/jhornbeck !!!

On Tuesday, it was a short ride over the bridge into the headlands and back to the office before sunset. We have been having phenomenal weather in S.F. and it was warm and lovely, even facing the climbing.

My cycle computer had died. I've put off putting on the new one that I purchased with the heart rate monitor, but this forced the issue, so this morning involved figuring out all the pieces.

Today my endurance ride included hitting the gauntlet: the non-cycle side of the Golden Gate Bridge. The GGB opens a cycling side on the West after 3:30 p.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends. This makes a HUGE difference from the gauntlet which includes people stepping out right in front of a bike, or stopping quickly on their rental bikes to take photos, or just not looking where they're going. It's dangerous, but over quickly enough. I did the Tiburan loop--absolutely beautiful! The Bay was truly blue and clear today. I felt good and strong and knew today was my day to push for miles, so on my way back, I took a right turn at the Headlands tunnel (a dank, dark tunnel--a little Harry Potter-ish) and into the headlands. On the return, I turned right again--up McCullough road--good, long climb. Did some out-of-the saddle time on the way up and enjoyed the descent, despite cars literally parked in the road and people not paying attention. Park Ranger was on it!

At the Bridge I stopped to take care of a couple phone calls regarding evening plans and as I got ready to ride back over the bridge a sweet man in his 70s, with his wife, said "Is good to go to San Francisco?" Yes! It is good, but they were seeking directions and made their way. School groups on the bridge, and the Blue Angels practicing directly overhead--Lively!

48 miles, some good climbing, 1636 calories burned, Peak heart rate: 170, average: 140. Day: beautiful. Prayers for all those sick with any kind of cancer and all those seeking cures.

No comments: