Thursday, October 23, 2008

Broke a Spoke

Today was slotted for an easy 40 mile endurance ride. It was warm, calm, and absolutely gorgeous. I made it over the gauntlet, which was too bad at the lunch hour. My plan had been for the Tiburan Loop, but as I approached Camino Alto Scoop ice cream in Fairfax was calling out, so it was into Larkspur. There was some construction going on at the bike path.

Just as I passed Bon Air, I heard a loud POP! Something seemed off and I pulled off to the side. A quick check showed the problem: a broken spoke on the back tire. The tire wasn't sitting correctly. Fortunately the Village Peddler was just ahead. The desk guy said "when the spoke breaks the wheel isn't true." He wasn't sure they could do anything. Vanessa was willing to help out if I was stranded, despite her sick children. We chatted about shoe styles while they did a temporary fix of my spoke and trued the wheel.

No need to miss out on Scoop--I was hungry and it was only 4 miles away. Pumpkin ice cream and walnut maple. Yum.

Fueled, I road home. 40 miles. 1350 calories. High speed: 30 mph.

I stopped on the bridge--bike side, some thing I NEVER do, but it was so calm and the water so blue. We live in an inspiring place!

No comments: