Tuesday, June 27, 2006

What are you waiting for?

I will continue updating you on the rest of the Ride in the coming days.

2005 and into 2006 were incredibly challenging and rough times for me, with much uncertainty, growing, loss, and grief. It was incredibly difficult to maintain a prayer life and my sense of spirituality. Yet, it was also an incredible time of support and care from family and friends. I had wanted to do the AIDS ride last year, but didn't know where I'd be living, what I'd be doing, so I put it off.


I signed up for AIDS lifecycle 5 still not knowing, and realizing it didn't matter.

With the help of incredible donors, we raised over $4000 to go toward the $8 million dollars to care for HIV and AIDS patients and find an end to this insidious disease.

In the week following the ride I found myself wiped out, and then not so wiped, but watching too much t.v., drinking too much wine, eating too many bad foods, and just low-energy. And I realized I was scared to see that this experience, the ride, the training, the conversations, have broken me open, have invigorated me. Doing this with the incredible support of my new congregation, with friends and family always encouraging and asking about it is what kept me going. At some point, I knew I had to do it. And it crept up over time. Each day of the ride was a little closer.

Before beginning training, I was terrified at the thought of a 40 mile ride, had to work hard to climb a hill, never mind my first 100 mile day being in the midst of about 550 miles. And with fellow riders, laughing, and struggling, and just keep spinning. Oftentimes it was silly and funny, sometimes it was just hard and irritating, and then there were the moments of incredible grace. Dartagnon came to mind often. Steve shared that Daphne and Earl, 2 parishioners I adored and said prayers over their bodies, and was a part of their transition, had cheered him on the Ride a few years ago. And so many other blessings. Tears come just reflecting on this gift you all share.

Thank you!

And what about you? What is something you have long been wanting to do? A goal you have set? But it just hasn't been the right time, or the resources aren't there, you don't have the skills or abilities, or you're not ready. Go out and try the first step. Take it bit by bit and make it happen. Ask for help. Say your prayers. See your own strength, your ability. The blessings from such challenges are incredible!

No comments: