Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Day Zero and Day One

On Saturday, June 3 we brought our bikes to the Cow Palace and checked them in for their overnight stay. It was not easy to leave Priscilla there and, because she's my most expensive property (I know--it's time to think investment) I had to remind myself that she was in bike parking. We then went through the lengthy saftey video and Mandana cracked me up making faces about all the talk, talk, talk. We got our bracelets that showed we had seen the safety video, then lined up, Disney-style with inside back to back lines, and were given our numbers. After that it was more lines to get our tent neighborhood sites, so we could be around friends. Three and a half hours later I was late for returning my city-car and needing to get to work. Oh, and packing--no easy feat, trying to figure out how to fit a sleeping bag, thermarest, 7 sets of ziploc-bagged biking clothes, shower items, and camping clothes in one duffel bag. Then it was off to Pizza Orgasmica for a carb-loaded yummy pizza dinner.

At 5:00 a.m. Mandana, Khosro, Kelly, and Shayne waited as I shoved the final stuff into my bag and somehow got it zipped. We got to the Cow Palace and turned in our gear and made the first of so many visits to the porta-potties. Then opening ceremonies and ride out. It was a sign of the coming week that the staff was urging us to head out, while we waited for someone in the potty. Kelsey, Kelly, Shayne, Mandana, Charlie and I rode out together. As we were leaving, Michelle mentioned that the saddle she'd lent me was a man's. Charlie's tentmate was in the crowd cheering, since his cab had taken off with all his gear, fortunately he met up with us that night in camp. The crowds were cheering and a helicoptor overhead reminded us that this is a BIG deal!



On the ride out of So. S.F. we passed my parishioners, Peggy and Julie, out on their ride. It was misty and foggy heading down toward Pacific and our helmets were dripping. As a rider passed, saying "on your left", Charlie said, oh yeah? you're still not going to win! We did the hard climb over 92-a road I have driven many times and never thought I would be able to climb on a bike.

I had shared about the Team Virgin Jersey (photos to come later) and pointed to the woman with a Virgin of Guadalupe banner and said, "See! It's the Virgin! I mean... it's not you..." Oops.
/Users/jenniferhornbeck/Desktop/DSCN1158.JPG


The coast was stunning! I love the Big Basin kite surfers!

We had lunch in San Gregorio and some fell asleep. I was on a mission to find Michelle and a girl saddle to save my poor sits-bones, but she'd forgotten. We met up with Bob, who had ridden out at front with the Positive Pedalers. Then it was down to Davenport for ice cream. I had separated and joined up with Julie, Donald and Chris from the Friday rides, taking the hills a little more quickly. At rest stop 4, the Bike Wash, I waited for my original group, who were enjoying the REAL ice cream in Davenport, so we could ride in together.




We rode into Santa Cruz and winded around to our campsite at Harvey West Park.
Susan and Lindsay were there cheering in riders,
wearing these gorgeous wigs:

They left me sweet notes, one for each day, and headed off to Susan's show in town.





Hello, Smurfhead!





Then it was off to set up tents, shower, and inhale dinner while announcements were made, and we had to miss the gay magician so we could get to sleep.


Day 1--1840 riders, 400 roadies
San Francisco to Santa Cruz
80 miles

No comments: