Monday, June 19, 2006

FAQs

*How much did you train?
I bought my bike in November, went to Mississippi for 10 days, returned home, turned 29 with a blazing fever and some weird Katrina disease, slowly improved with a newfound love of antibiotics, and rode about 12 miles every few days. Then I accepted my new job, left the old one, and was sick again, but just a cough/head cold/energy-draining thing. Oh, and then I moved to S.F. I truly began training in January and had to buy a "trainer" to hook my bike into at home, due to the tremendous rains. I trained alone, because I was so nervous about my ability. One of my first rides out, on my virgin ride over the Golden Gate, once I found it, was up over the Headlands--a serious climb and didn't I know it! My short, solo rides made me fear my ability to ride with others

I joined the Friday training rides, met people, and kept up--phew! By May we were supposed to be training about 20-25 hours a week, mostly on the bike. I was probably close to the 20 hrs per week, with my longest ride being 78 miles on day of the ride. It made me nervous to see those people riding out for the weekend, when I was off electing a bishop and working!

*Do you carry your gear?
There is an incredible group of roadies who take our gear and tents along with mobile showers, and our whole AIDS ride city to the next site. At the end of the day we pick up our tents, our luggage and find our spot, then it's off to the showers in trailers--great water pressure and heat and don't make me leave the shower-ever!! Except for food, and sleep--if only we could do all three together.

*How does your body feel?
My muscles were sore on the last day-hah! Surprise! I was WIPED out for the first few days, but am coming back and slowly getting back into riding and running and using my body again.

*How was it?
It was a great experience of support, of being able to "just ride", of riding with such a diversity of people, of feeling fully supported, of knowing that there was no shame in being picked up/SAGged and getting to enjoy the pride of riding, as Daniel said, EFI-every f-ing inch. Some days felt SO long and most felt like a couple days. I slept hard in that tent city. I fell only once-not surprisingly due to messing around/carelessness. There were a couple rude people, but the kind, funny people so out-weighed them. It was a pilgrimmage--sacramental. Coming back to regular life is still jarring--it shook me up in a good way! I wish I had found the right saddle...

It was wonderful, I would do it again, and I often thought of my own amazing community at St. Mary's, amongst my friends, and of Dartagnan, all children affected by this disease, and my dear friend, who I have often watched taking his cocktail of drugs on an empty stomach.

I found new friendships with people who are invaluable and will last a lifetime! We stayed together and needed one another and depended on each other in so many unexpected ways. What a blessing!

Let me know of more questions! This is truly a shared experience--riding is still such a small part of the whole!

No comments: