Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Day 7


I never actually finished the AIDS Ride story that I started this blog to document. Day 6 was kind of a low day, with everyone a little quieter and grumpier.

That night, on the beach in Ventura, 2200 people gathered in a circle, each with a candle. It was entry into liturgy. I was tired, I was ready, I so wanted a good cry, and we gathered in a circle with lit candles--and stood. And we simply stood there. There wasn't conversation of prayer, or even simply what the candles might represent. There is an incredible power in seeing that many people in a gathering, especially in a circle. Many people around us were in tears. They held one another. After a little while slowly folks made there way to the water and doused their candles as the waves washed in. As someone who is spiritual, who does liturgy for a living, it was a deeply unsatisfying experience. It was just so close to being a very meaningful, powerful experience for all, as I'm sure it was for some.

Day 7 we woke before light at 5:00 a.m. or so and stumbled to breakfast, me making sure to get my mate in after packing up the tents and duffel bags-everything a bit wet and dewy. We ate our food quietly, took our bags to the big trucks one last time and got on the road. It was a slightly shorter day, but by about mid-day I experienced the first of feeling all those days on the bike. Generally, throughout the week, my body hurt from saddle-sore, sitting in the same position, but Day 7 my muscles were tired.

Ventura to L.A. on the Pacific Coast Highway may be beautiful, but trying it on a Saturday in June was possibly insane. There were cars everywhere. It was a very dangerous ride. There were plenty of near-misses and a couple accidents coming down some serious hills. We had a blast though, and were singing our songs and gaining energy from seeing how far we'd come and the end in sight.

We got into L.A. and made it to the closing ceremonies. Where we waited. We got our t-shirts, looked at AIDS quilts--tears, took pics, and hung out en masse under the Southern CA sunshine, waiting. We "rode" into the final ceremony, with plenty of talks and pump you up energy. It was alright. Maybe I didn't need it. Maybe I was tired. And then that was it! 500-something miles, 7 days, some good laughs and the satisfaction of riding every mile after wanting to do this ride for so long.

Mark had driven down and we dropped Kelly and Shayne at their hotel--I was a little bummed to be missing that night out, but we had to be back for church. We talked and caught up on the ride home--it was great! I got home and slept hard.

That evening at Unplugged, I was so incredibly happy to be there. All week people had spoken about this amazing community, how you'll be depressed to leave it, and here I was in the truly amazing, Spirit-filled community that knew it was about so much more than us, that God is present and alive and there is hope. One of the sweetest toddlers, with a smile that can kill, Isabelle was there that evening, with new baby brother in tow. She was a bit wiggly and at the peace I picked her up-we were both beaming! The little comedian made pirate faces back and forth with me! She stayed happily in my arms as I celebrated communion. This is the blessing of community, of a regular worshipping community in the presence of God and my vocation is truly my blessing! After the service, we got on the bus the Steyer's rented to head down to Wendy's music competition in the Mission, danced and had a blast! Oh, satisfied!

No comments: